This recipe is hands down the best carrot cake ever!
I have been told this by several people and 99% of them were not even vegan!
Believe me this is not just me tooting my own horn!
I don’t know why it makes me so happy when non vegans tell me my desserts are the “best they ever had”
The most recent comment I got on social media said: “Thanks to Gretchen Price for your fabulous carrot cake recipe.
I tested 6 and yours was the best ❤”
Whether you are vegan or not you have finally found the best carrot cake recipe ever!
But don’t take my word for it, try it for yourself!
Quite possibly the easiest recipe to mix too since there is no mixer required!
This is my go-to recipe whenever I want to impress the masses.
Whoever would have thought a rustic old fashioned carrot cake could be a vegan converter!
This recipe is even so fantastic all by itself that it needs no icing!
Sometimes I just bake the batter right in a loaf pan!
Notes for Success:
The original cream cheese icing is very fragile to mix due to the very unstable vegan cream cheese icing, so it is best done by hand.
However I have recently updated all of my cakes that use cream cheese icing and converted them to this NEW 2-2-2 Cream Cheese Icing!
It is shelf stable with no refrigeration required since there is no vegan cream cheese in the recipe!
For more awesome classic recipes like this one click the links below!
- Vegetable Oil ¾ cup (177ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1½ cup + 2 tablespoons (200g)
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon (4g)
- Baking Soda 1teaspoon (4g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon 1¾ teaspoons
- Brown Sugar ½ cup (105g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 3 Tablespoons (24g)
- Hot Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1½ teaspoons (7ml)
- Carrots 4 medium (approx 2 cups 250g)
- Granny Smith Apple 1 medium peeled approx ¾ cup
- Orange Zest from ¼ large orange approx 1 teaspoon
- Toasted Walnuts ¾ cup plus more for garnish *optional
- Preahet the oven to 350°F
- Grease and parchment line your cake pans (*I am using 3-7" pans)
- Combine the flax with the hot water and let stand to thicken
- In a large bowl combine the sugars with the oil, vanilla extract and the flax mixture, whisk smooth
- Add the orange zest
- Then sift together all of the dry ingredients directly into the bowl and whisk smooth
- Add the grated carrots and apple and the nuts then mix smooth
- Pour batter into greased cake pans and bake immediately at 350°F in a preheated oven for approximately 25-40 minutes depending on the size of your pans. Bake Until they are Done
- Cool cakes while you prepare the Cream Cheese Icing recipe according to that recipe[e post and then assemble cake as shown in the video
The Original Cream Cheese Icing in case you prefer that method!
- Vegan Cream Cheese 2 Tubs (2cups) (454g)
- Vegan Butter 1 stick (½ cup) (112g)
- Confectioner's Sugar 2 cups (240g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- 1 Cup Vegan Buttercream
- Smooth cream cheese and the softened vegan butter BY HAND with a wooden spoon or spatula
- Add sifted confectioners sugar, mix evenly
- Add extract then add optional vegan buttercream icing
- Mix smooth