Chocolate and Cherry the best combination on earth.
For those who agree with me you are going to flip over this contemporary rendition of the Classic Black Forest Cake
Actually let’s just call it a Vegan Chocolate Cherry Cake
Since I am not going with the alcohol soaked cherries and Kirschwasser like you would find in a more classical style Black Forest cake.
As a matter of fact German law mandates that you cannot truly call this cake a Black Forest Cake if it does not include Kirshwasser in the recipe!
Not to mention this Chocolate Cherry Cake tower is layered with rich chocolate mouse!
Some people may say that Chocolate Mousse is not a component of a true Black Forest Cake, but let me tell you it should be!
The combination of chocolate cake, cherries and whipped cream just naturally scream for chocolate mousse to join the party!
I am not a huge fan of the alcohol soaked cherries anyway and I know a lot of you guys will agree with me
But for those who love it~ by all means substitute the canned cherry pie filling that I am using here, for the Maraschino Cherries & Kirshwasser soaked cake layers.
Another option for the cherry filling is cherries in syrup rather than pastry filling
It is really your option to use whatever you like the best for this chocolate cherry cake.
For a homemade compote like I did for my Classic version of the Black Forest Cake here.
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL YOUTUBE VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR HOW TO MAKE THIS DESSERT!
Note for Success:
I made individual desserts rather than a full cake this time, but if you want to make a family style cake for presentation, this recipe will also make 1 – 7″ cake.
I am using 2½” diameter PVC Pipe from Home Depot (found in the plumbing aisle) since they are way cheaper than the stainless steel cake rings, just be sure never to bake in PVC it is strictly for cold preparation desserts.
Fitted with food grade acetate strips this makes for a very simple and easy to handle individual dessert option.
Be sure to watch the video to see how to assemble everything to make this recipe with ease!
For more recipes with cherries click the links below!
[u][b]Black Forest Cake Vegan Chocolate Cherry Cake[/b][/u]
I am using a ¼ sheet cake pan to bake the cake but you can also use a 9" X 13" if that is all you have I have two options for the Chocolate Mousse the one as I show in the video and recipe below OR I have a 2 ingredient Chocolate Mousse Click here
- For the Chocolate Cake
- All Purpose Flour ¾ cup + 1½ Tablespoons (106g)
- Granulated Sugar 1/3 cup (67g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon (1½ g)
- Baking Powder ¾ teaspoon (2.5g)
- Baking Soda ¾ teaspoons (2.5g)
- Coconut Oil 3½ Tablespoons (48g)
- Boiling Water ¾ cup (180ml)
- Dutch Process or Natural Cocoa Powder 1/3 cup (35g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 3 Tablespoons (24g)
- Hot Water 4 Tablespoons (60ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- For the Chocolate Mousse:
- Semi Sweet Vegan Chocolate
- Hot Water or brewed coffee 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Chickpea Water from Canned Chickpeas ¼ cup (60ml)
- Granulated Sugar 2 Tablespoons (25g)
- Cream Of Tartar ¼ teaspoon
- Coconut Milk Full Fat 1 15ounce can (*refrigerated overnight)
- For the Cake:
- Combine ground flax seed with the 4Tbs of hot water and whisk smooth
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes to thicken to a paste
- Combine the melted coconut oil, ¾ cup boiling water and cocoa powder together and whisk smooth
- Add the flax meal and the vanilla extract, whisk smooth
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda with the salt into the chocolate mixture and whisk smooth
- Pour batter into a greased and parchment lined ¼ sheet cake pan and bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 18 - 20 minutes or until it springy to the touch when you gently press the center
- Cool cake in the pan for about 20 minutes while you prepare the chocolate mousse recipe
- For the Chocolate Mousse
- Reduce the aquafaba by bringing it to a boil in a small sauce pan, let it boil for 3 minutes. Cool completely in the refrigerator
- Meanwhile open the can of coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight and carefully scoop out the fat that is on topand place in a mixer with a whip attachment, use the coconut liquid for something else (like a smoothie or a recipe that calls for no fat coconut water)
- Whip the coconut cream to stiff peaks and reserve in the refrigerator
- Melt the chocolate in a large bowl over a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl
- Add the warm brewed coffee to the melted chocolate all at once while whisking vigorously to incorporate well.
- Whip the cold aquafaba to stiff peaks while adding the sugar and cream of tartar
- Take a small portion of the AF meringue and fold into the chocolate mixture to lighten.
- Fold the whipped coconut cream into the mousse then refrigerate the entire mixture until it is firm or until needed.
- Assemble the Black Forest Cakes as shown in the video and garnish with more whipped coconut cream **optional and shaved chocolate and marschino cherries
I like to keep these desserts in the freezer in their acetate sleeves until serving time.
They will keep frozen for up to 1 month
Thaw for about 1 hour before serving
You may also keep them in the refrigerator for up to 1 week in an airtight container or in the acetate sleeves (these are the best for keeping this dessert fresh and free from air)
CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO & RECIPE TUTORIAL FOR ONE BOWL BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
CLICK HERE FOR THE CLASSIC BLACK FOREST CAKE VIDEO TUTORIAL & RECIPE
This looks and sounds super amazing!! Thanks for making and sharing this recipe and your awesome YouTube videos!
You are such a nice person,I am so happy you shared the recipe with us.
awe thanks! Im so happy you like it!
Thank you so much for showing us how you bake your cakes, & make your buttercreams, fillings, etc. I’m learning so much just watching what & how you do.
Thank you for all your vegan recipes! So greatly appreciated! Do you think your other vegan chocolate mousse (the one that is strictly water and chocolate) will work with this instead of the aquafaba mousse? Thank you for your help! <3
Hi Thank YOU too! and yes it will work CLICK HERE
In step 16, you say to fold in a small portion of the meringue to lighten. When do you add the rest of it? Immediately afterwards?
I’m so happy to find a recipe that uses a bunch of coconut milk in an aquafaba mousse! I’ve seen the two ingredient one all over the place, but it didn’t seem like it would be as rich as the one I remember. I was going to try to adapt the one I used to use from the Joy of Cooking, but I’m thrilled that a professional has done it first. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Yes! Sorry about that, you are right, a small amount to lighten, then add the rest right after.
Awesome!! I hope you try it and love it as much as I do! Its definitely not as easy as the 2 ingredient ones, but in my opinion, just like the original non vegan version!
Instead of using the coconut fat could I use a 1:1 ratio of soy and coconut oil (like your other recipe)?
How much should be used to replace the coconut fat? I guess what I’m saying is what’s the volume of the fat?
I don’t really know what you are asking?
Oh, sorry I didn’t see the entire context of the question. Use about 1 cup of fully whipped cream
Hi Gretchen! Can any of this be made a day ahead of time – the cake or mousse or both – before assembling? And how would you recommend I assemble if I don’t have those PVC pipes, would it work in just a regular cake tin? Thank you!