It’s hard to imagine a Valentine’s Day without Red Velvet Cake!
Check out all the options for Red Velvet Cake!
I love making individual red velvet cake to give away as gifts
Perfect little cakes to give as gifts to the ones you love!
I even used my Russian Piping Tips to decorate them with a basket weave design!
This cake is so moist with the traditional cream cheese filling and icing
Except this new recipe for no cream cheese~ no refrigerator cream cheese icing is going to change your life!
Of course you can make this entire recipe into any size pans you prefer
This recipe below will make 2-8″ cake layers instead of the sheet pan I am using
But if you want to spend a little bit more time on this project to make these adorable little individual cakes like I did
You would simply bake all the batter into a half sheet pan and then cut out each heart shaped layer! *video tutorial linked below
Totally worth the extra effort when you give these mini cakes as gifts to the special people in your life!
If you are making my individual heart cakes you will need a heart shaped cookie cutter to make the cut outs
The only problem with doing it that way is the excess cake scraps left over when cutting shapes from a sheet cake
But I never fret over excess cake scraps since I will always use it for something else later
Like these adorable heart shaped cake pops for example!
Or these luscious Red Velvet Cake Balls dipped in white chocolate!
This recipe is the original Red Velvet Cake recipe from when I had my bakery
And it does have red food coloring to make the vibrant red color
However I am no longer a fan of using harsh chemical dyes in my recipes anymore
So I have since developed a No Dye Red Velvet Cake recipe using beet root powder that is worth a look!
I have also developed a No Cream Cheese ~ Cream Cheese Icing recipe that is room temperature stable
Bonus: It doesn’t require using vegan cream cheese which can be difficult to find nowadays
Notes for Success:
I am using my No Shortening Buttercream Icing recipe modified for Cream Cheese icing that does not require vegan cream cheese!
Be sure to read the entire blog post for that recipe and use the modified “no refrigerator” cream cheese icing version for the best cream cheese icing ever!
In the video for this recipe I was using beet juice for added color but I find this to be an annoying, unnecessary ingredient so I’ve replaced it with more water
Check out all the Red Velvet Recipe versions below!
- All Purpose Flour 2½ Cups (312g)
- Granulated Sugar 1½ cups (300g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (5g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Natural Cocoa Powder 2 Tablespoons (12g)
- Vegetable Oil ½ cup (120ml)
- Plant Milk 1 Cup (237ml) * I like to use soy milk
- Ground Flax Seeds 2 Tablespoons (16g)
- Hot Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Red Food Color 1 teaspoon
- White Vinegar 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- 1 Recipe 2-2-2 Cream Cheese Icing
- For the Red Velvet Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Grease & parchment line your cake pan(s)
- First combine the flax meal with the hot water and whisk smooth, let it stand for 5 minutes to thicken
- Combine the vinegar with the plant milk to sour
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar with the oil, & vanilla extract and whisk smooth
- Add the flax paste and the soured milk and whisk smooth
- Sift all the dry ingredients into the sugar/oil mixture and whisk smooth again
- Add optional red food color to spike it up then pour into a greased and parchment lined 12" X 18" pan and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until it is springy to the touch when you gently press the center
- If using 8" pans divide the batter evenly between both greased & parchment lined pans and bake for approximately 25 minutes, check with a toothpick to make sure it is done.
- Cool the cake in the pan and then cut out the heart shapes with a 4" heart cookie cutter, save the scraps for another project like Cake Pops or Red Velvet Truffles *links above in text
- Meanwhile prepare the 2 2 2 cream cheese icing recipe according to the instructions on that recipe post linked above
- Decorate the cakes as you like ~ watch the video tutorial for how to make the basket weave and the Russian piping roses decor
Since there is no vegan cream cheese in the icing, this cake will be fine at room temperature for up to 4 days.
For longer storage keep refrigerated for up to 1 week