Back in the summer my friend Chelsea came by with a fabulous desserts bake book and we flipped through it just drooling over all the recipes!
Although the recipes were not vegan, I can still appreciate great ideas and beautiful work.
The one that caught my eye the most was for Apple Lasagna.
With just a few changes to vegan ingredients and some tweaks of my own (like the brandy addition to the apples! yes you can omit that part)
I have recreated the Vegan Apple Lasagna for everyone to now enjoy!
It was really simple to assemble and of course it is no bake so that is always a win in my book!
The hardest part about dessert this fall and winter holiday season is going to be figuring out which recipe to make!
This one is definitely my recommended place to start though!
- 1 Box of Nabisco Graham Crackers (you will use 2½ packages from the box)
- For the Apples:
- 3-4 medium sized apples peeled & sliced to about ⅛ inch thick
- Light Brown Sugar ¼ cup (50g)
- All Purpose Flour 1 Tablespoon
- Cinnamon ½ teaspoon
- Ground Ginger ¼ teaspoon
- Ground Nutmeg ¼ teaspoon
- Brandy 3 Tablespoons *optional
- Maple Syrup 1 Tablespoon
- Vegan Butter 1 Tablespoon
- For the Cream Cheese Mousse:
- 2 Packages Vegan Cream Cheese (454g)
- Confectioners Sugar 1 cup (120g)
- 2 cans Coconut Milk (full fat) refrigerated overnight
- Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoons
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Light Brown Sugar 2 Tablespoons
- Vegan Toffee Recipe *optional for sprinkling on top
- Optional Caramel Recipe for the topping
- First prepare the apples by melting the vegan butter in a large skillet over high heat and then add the slices apples. Let them cook down for about 5 minutes stirring frequently then add the brown sugar, flour and spices and stir well to combine
- Stirring often, let the apples cook down for about 10 minutes, I cover the pan with a lid from time to time to get them nice and steamy.
- Add the brandy and the maple syrup and cook until they are tender but not mushy- total time about 15 minutes of cooking
- Remove from the heat and cool completely
- Prepare the coconut whipping cream for the mousse by opening the cold cans and scoop the fat from the top, reserve the liquid for another recipe and then whip the coconut fat with a whip attachment until soft peaks form.
- Reserve while you prepare the cream cheese mousse base by combining the vegan cream cheese, sifted confectioners sugar, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and light brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl (you can use an electric mixer, but vegan cream cheese breaks down very easily and by hand mixing you can be sure you won't turn it into soup!)
- Fold the coconut whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and then get ready to assemble the dessert.
- In the bottom of a 9"x9" baking pan arrange the graham crackers
- Layer with ⅓ of the mousse mixture and then top with half of the apples.
- Layer with more graham crackers, another ⅓ of the mousse and the other half of the apples.
- A final layer of graham crackers and the last of the cream cheese mousse.
- I sprinkled the entire top with a recipe of Vegan Toffee Bark but this is optional as is the Vegan Caramel Recipe for a drizzle on top
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving, the lasagna actually got better the next day just like a traditional lasagna!