Finally we can include our vegan and egg and dairy allergy friends in our holiday dessert festivities with the best recipe for Spritz Cookies!
This is my famous bakery style spritz cookie that I shared many years ago; now adapted to be egg and dairy free but the taste has never been better!!
Adorned with whatever tickles your fancy; this one recipe will make a variety of shapes and flavors as you see in the picture.
Holiday Cookie Exchange? No more worries with this amazing recipe!
I am telling you, you will have dozens of varieties of cookies in no time at all.
The best part is the filling and dipping in nuts or even crushed oreos!
I have even made my own homemade sprinkles that would be great for these cookies!
I wasn’t really sure how many to say this recipe yields though, because depending on how big or little you pipe them your total count will vary.
But definitely make the whole recipe as listed below because trust me, you will be eating a good portion of them before the party even starts!
Ok I’m starting to sound like an infomercial but seriously! These are so good and so easy and so fun!!
Notes on this recipe: Earth Balance is simply a brand of vegan margarine, shortening really.
So you can use whatever shortening you prefer or even margarine.
- Vegan Butter or Shortening 1 cup (226g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Ground Flax 1 Tablespoon (8g)
- Warm Water 3 Tablespoons (45ml)
- Almond Milk 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- All Purpose Flour 2½ cups (312g)
- Baking Powder ¼ teaspoon
- Salt ¼ teaspoon (2g)
- Combine the flax with the warm water and let stand for 5 minutes to thicken
- Cream the earth balance or shortening and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy about 3 minutes.
- Add the salt
- Add the flax paste to the creamed mixture and be sure to stop and scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl for an even mix.
- Slowly drizzle in the almond milk and mix until combined, scrape the sides again.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder all at once and mix on low speed just until combined.
- With your with the #826 tip or with a cookie press pipe the dough onto a parchment lined sheet pan spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F for about 18 - 20 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned on the edges.
- Cool completely and fill with jams, vegan chocolates, vegan ganaches, vegan buttercream or your choice of fillings and adorn with nuts, sprinkles of your choice.
You can freeze the cookie shells, but I do not recommend to freeze the sandwiched cookies once they are filled and adorned.
(The thawing will cause condensation which is not great for chocolate and could cause bleeding of the colors of the sprinkles)