Once again we are in no bake territory with this new improved recipe for Coconut Cream Pie
This no bake, no nuts, no mixer cream pie is the way to go!
Of course I am taking the easy route by buying the coconut whipped topping because that’s how lazy I am right now!
But if you are not going to buy your whipped topping you will have to pick which recipe for Vegan Whipped Cream you will want to make and get that mixer out and whizzing up!
There are quite a few really good vegan options for whipped cream on the market right now
And I also have a couple homemade recipes for Vegan Whipped Cream for you to choose from
I love the CocoWhip Topping by SO-Delicious and vegan gluten free graham cracker crust by Mi-Del *not sponsored
Both are vegan and both are awesome!
If you want to lighten this up just a bit, forgo the whipped topping altogether and you instantly have a Coconut Custard Pie instead!
Kinda like when I made these little coconut custard tarts!
By the way, this is one really inexpensive dessert too!
Notes for Success:
For me, the sugar in this recipe is perfect as I cut it down from the original recipe which called for ¾ of a cup.
Because I am using sweet flake coconut which adds sugar the balance works out perfectly.
You can however use unsweetened coconut if you like, and increase the sugar in the custard.
Be careful with the turmeric, it can have a tendency to make your custard green if you add too much, really just a pinch will be fine! And of course you can leave it out, and the custard will be pure white
When measuring cornstarch I cannot stress enough that a kitchen scale is the best way to go.
Cornstarch is a very difficult ingredient to measure consistently with a volume spoons measure
So while I list both measures below I cannot stress enough how the grams measure with a scale is going to give you the best results.
Many times people have complained that their custard is like rubber and they don’t know why! This is from a heavy measure of cornstarch when using volume measuring spoon vs the 100% accurate scale measure in grams.
For more awesome no bake cream pie recipes click the links below!
- Coconut Milk full fat canned 13.5 ounces (1¾ cup) (414ml)
- Soy Milk ½ cup (118ml)
- Turmeric *optional for color 1/8 teaspoon *see notes
- Granulated Vegan Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Cornstarch 5 Tablespoons (40g) **see notes
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Sweetened Flake Coconut toasted 1½ cup (125g) **see note above
- 1- Mi-Del Vegan graham cracker crust OR * see Banana Cream Pie recipe
- 1 tub SoDelicious CocoWhip topping OR 1 recipe your favorite vegan whipped cream
- If you are not using the store bought whipped topping, prepare the Vegan Whipped Cream recipe of your choice CLICK HERE
- If you are not using a store bought graham cracker crustCLICK HERE for how to make your own
- For the custard:
- Combine cornstarch & sugar together in a medium sauce pot & whisk to combine, then add the plant milks and cook over medium to high heat and bring to a boil stirring constantly to avoid scorching the bottom .
- Once it starts to bubble remove from the heat and add the vegan butter and vanilla extract and stir until melted and smooth.
- Add 1 cup of the toasted flake coconut and then pour the custard into your prepared crust.
- Refrigerate until completely cold & set and if you wish to forgot the whipped topping, then you have a luscious Coconut Custard Pie!!
- Top it with \whipped cream of your choice and then the remaining 1/2 cup of toasted coconut.
Coconut cream pie must be kept refrigerated at all times and whill stay fresh for up to 5 days.