Many of you may be more familiar with the proper name for this cake
The Icebox cake
And while this cake is exactly that, in my opinion that name does it no justice!
So I’ve renamed it The No Bake Meltaway Cake
Because it literally melts in your mouth on every bite!
You can seriously eat this entire cake without a second thought
Since it is so light and airy!
The original version of this cake ~ The Nabisco Icebox Cake
Was born in the early 1930’s when the electric icebox was starting to make its appearance in modern homes all over the USA.
This classic version was made in a trifle bowl or casserole dish
Consisting of alternating layers of whipped cream and Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer Cookies
Over the years the Icebox cake has morphed into spinoff variations
Most people will recognize the ice box cake as layers of graham crackers and chocolate pudding
My version today is quite simply the graham cracker version
But I’ve added a layer of chocolate ganache along with the best vegan whipped cream ever!
I’ve also decided to make this into a tall cake rather than a casserole!
Vegan whipped cream is much more stable than cow whipped cream so for me this cake gets better each day it sits in the refrigerator!
However if you prefer to go old school, by all means grab that casserole dish and layer away!
Notes for Success:
Nabisco Original Graham Crackers are indeed vegan, just be careful not to buy the honey ones.
I have several options for vegan whipped cream here on my website
Although I tend to go the lazy route and buy SILK brand heavy whipping cream *not sponsored
If you cannot find the SILK brand in stores near you check out my recipe for homemade vegan whipping cream!
It is the best recipe you will find, just be sure to read the entire post before beginning, as it can be a finicky recipe!
You can substitute any thin crispy cookie that you like best in place of the graham crackers, digestive biscuits or Biscoff Cookies work great!
Make this entire dessert gluten free by using a gluten free graham cracker instead!
Or make it refined sugar free with your favorite diabetic friendly cookies and monk fruit sugar for the whipped cream like I did!
I like to prepare this cake two days ahead of time, since it does need time for that whipped cream to absorb into the cookies
For more easy no bake recipes like this one click the links below!
You can make this entire recipe in a 9" x 9" casserole dish or a 7" ring mold for the cake style
- If you are making my homemade recipe for vegan whipped cream, be sure to read the entire blog post & you will have to prepare the whipping cream the day ahead of time
- Now prepare the vegan ganache and let it stand at room temperature to thicken and cool
- When you are ready to assemble the cake (or casserole) whip the cream to soft peaks and then layer starting with a thin layer of whipped cream as the base, then the graham crackers and ganache
- Repeating until everything is used up
- Refrigerate overnight to allow the whipped cream to meld with the graham crackers and soften
- Top with more crushed graham crackers and a drizzle of extra ganache if you have any
I don't like to freeze whipped cream cakes