I’m bringing back the nostalgia with this strawberry shortcake crunch cake
Reminiscent of my favorite ice cream from days gone by!
The Strawberry Shortcake was the ultimate as I chased the ice cream man down the street.
Today I decided on the Strawberry Shortcake Crunch Cake for the win!
Four layers of fluffy cake, fresh strawberry compote and white chocolate mousse
Loaded up with that famous strawberry crunch coating we all love so much!
This cake is going to knock your socks of from the first bite to the last!
The style of cake is just so decadent and impressive with layers upon layers of pure deliciousness!
Don’t be intimidated since the process is quite easy once you get the hang of my Building on Recipes technique!
Since we need quite a few recipes to get to the final result, you can prepare much of this ahead of time.
Once you’ve gathered your base recipes it literally takes under an hour to build the final cake!
All the recipes and ingredients are very accessible with simple mix methods so don’t even think for a moment that you won’t be able to make this!
Trust me just follow along step by step with the video tutorial and the written instructions are also below in the recipe box!
Notes For Success:
Take this cake project in steps spanning a couple of days to make your life easier!
Cake layers can be made in advance and wrapped airtight & stored in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to assemble the cake.
Strawberry compote can be made up to 1 week in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
White chocolate mousse and whipped cream are made at the time of assembly.
Before you begin, you will notice I am using two special tools for this cake.
One last thing before we dive into this towering cake project is the whipped cream debacle!
Hopefully you can get your hands on the SILK brand whipping cream I am using in the video *not sponsored!
But if not I have several options for homemade and store bought variations here!
You can bake the cake layers ahead of time and make the strawberry compote too - up to 4 days in advance for both recipes!
I USED MY DUNCAN HINES BOX CAKE HACK FOR THE CAKE RECIPES HERE! If you prefer to make scratch recipes for both cakes I have recipes for You will need 2 cups of whipped cream to fold into the mousse and approximately 3-4 more cups to ice the cake. SILK brand Heavy Whipping Cream (2 pints) works GREAT for this! *not sponsored
- For the White Cake: **see note above!
- 1 Box Duncan Hines White Cake with only the following ingredients added NOT the box instructions! OR 2X recipe for MY WHITE CAKE
- Vegetable Oil ⅓ cup
- Water 1 cup
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup
- Plant Milk *I use soy milk ⅔ cup
- Dry Blend Egg Replacer 2 Tablespoons
- Applesauce 2 Tablespoons
- Sugar ½ cup
- For the Strawberry Cake:
- Half of the batter from the above white cake mix or my white cake recipe
- Dehydrated strawberries ground to a powder 1 cup before grinding (18g) *approx ½ cup ground to a powder
- For the White Chocolate Mousse:
- Vegan White Chocolate 8ounces (approx 1½ cups chopped chocolate)
- Plant Milk 6 Tablespoons
- Agar ½ teaspoon
- Vegan Whipped Cream 2 cups whipped (*1¼-1½ cups of liquid) *see note above
- For the Strawberry Compote Filling:
- Fresh or Frozen strawberries 3 cups
- Cranberries fresh or frozen 1 cup
- Sugar *optional ½ cup
- **If using fresh berries you may need about ¼ cup of water to help them cook down
- For the Garnish/Decor/Crunch
- 15 Golden Sandwich Cookies with the fillings
- Dehydrated Strawberries 1 cup (18g)
- First prepare the 4- 7" cake pans with professional bakery pan grease and parchment paper liners.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Prepare the cake batter (if you prefer to make scratch white cake & strawberry cake recipes follow the instructions on those recipe pages and meet me back when you're done!)
- For the box cake hack: In a large mixing bowl empty the contents of one Duncan Hines White Cake box.
- Add the sugar, flour, baking powder and egg replacer.
- Sift together or using a hand whisk to evenly distribute the contents.
- Add the oil, plant milk, water and applesauce and whisk smooth, using about 50 vigorous strokes
- Divide the batter in half and reserve one half for the strawberry batter then divide the remaining white batter into 2-7" prepared pans
- For the strawberry batter grind the dehydrated strawberries in a food processor or spice grinder to a fine powder, add to the white batter and whisk well until there are no streaks.
- Divide the batter between the remaining 2-7" cake pans then bake all the cake layers together in the preheated 350°F oven for approximately 22 minutes or when they are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers, or with the toothpick test, insert a toothpick and if it comes out clear it is done!
- Cool the cakes in the pans until you can safely touch then without burning yourself then flip them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the strawberry compote: in a medium heavy bottom sauce pot combine the chopped strawberries and cranberries together with the sugar and water *if needed.
- Cook over medium heat until the cranberries start to pop and the berries are breaking down. Stir often.
- Turn the heat to low and let it simmer and continue to cook down, the sauce will naturally thicken especially as it cools to cold.
- You can leave it chunky or blend to a puree it is your option *I like it chunky.
- Prepare the garnish for the cake by grinding the golden sandwich cookies in a food processor to medium crumbs, add the dehydrated strawberries and pulse until it is all the size you desire for garnish.
- When you are ready to build the cake prepare your vegan whipping cream- if you are using SILK Brand as I show in the video simply whip it to soft peaks at this time.
- Reserve 2 cups for the mousse and leave the rest in the refrigerator for the icing of the cake later.
- Prepare the white chocolate mousse by melting the vegan white chocolate
- Combine the warm plant milk with the agar powder and then bring to a rolling boil to activate the agar.
- Add this to the melted white chocolate and whisk as fast as possible to prevent setting!
- Next quickly fold in the whipped cream and whisk smooth.
- The mousse will set very fast due to the agar, so be sure to have your other ingredients ready to go since you will have to build the cake fairly quickly to make sure the mousse doesn't set.
- Follow the video tutorial for how to build & ice the cake!
You can freeze the UN-iced cake well wrapped for up to 1 month, ice with whipped cream after thawing in the refrigerator overnight.