I can’t share a recipe for The Best Vegan Vanilla Cake without also sharing a recipe for The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake right?!
So here it is, my most sought after recipe for chocolate fudge cake exactly the same way I made it when I had my bakery, except this time around it is completely vegan!
Moist layers of chocolate cake filled and iced with thick fudge icing.
This cake is a very simple one to make especially because the cake recipe itself doesn’t require a mixer, it’s a one bowl mix and away you go!
I use this recipe for pretty much everything I make that is chocolate, I just love it that much!
It bakes up into perfect cupcakes if that is more your style, and the fudge icing is just divine!
So for those in need of a perfect chocolate cake every time, you are in luck!
This is the same chocolate cake I showed in my recent course for how to replace eggs in your vegan recipes.
If you are interested to learn more about the science of vegan baking just click here to check out Vegan Baking Mastery and join the rest of the group and you too will be able to convert your favorite recipes to vegan by learning the science behind egg replacers.
- For the Cake Recipe
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Cake Flour 1 cup (120g)
- Natural Cocoa Powder 8 Tablespoons
- Granulated Sugar 2 cups (400g)
- Salt 1 teaspoon (6g)
- Baking Soda 2 teaspoons
- Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoons
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable Oil ¾ cup (177ml)
- Strong Brewed Coffee 2 cups
- For the Fudge Recipe
- Granulated Sugar 5 Tablespoons (63g)
- Water 5 Tablespoons (75ml)
- Corn Syrup 2 Tablespoons (40g) (30ml)
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 1 Cup (90g)
- Vegetable Oil 2 Tablespoons (27g) (30ml)
- Solid Vegetable Shortening 2 Tablespoons (25g)
- Corn Syrup 4 Tablespoons (80g) (60ml)
- * you can sub glucose, agave or golden syrup here
- Vegan Butter softened 8 ounces (2 Sticks) (226g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- Confectioner's Sugar or Icing Sugar 2 lbs (8 cups) (900g)
- Cold Water 4-6 Tablespoons to adjust the consistency
- For the cake: Sift both flours, baking soda, salt, and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the natural cocoa powder with the hot coffee and then add the vinegar, oil and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the sifted dry ingredients and whisk vigorously with a hand whisk until smooth (about 15 -20 strokes)
- Pour batter into greased and parchment lined 7" x 2" cake pans
- Bake immediately in a preheated 350°f oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs
- Meanwhile prepare the fudge icing: In a small pot on the stove, combine the first 3 ingredients and bring to a boil for about 2-3 minutes then pour into a bowl and allow to sit in the freezer to rapid cool while you gather the other ingredients.
- In the bowl of your Kitchen Aid mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl with a hand blender, add the cocoa powder and cooled but still warm simple syrup and mix until it forms a firm mass.
- Add the vanilla extract
- Add the Vegetable or Melted Coconut Oil and the corn syrup
- Next add the softened vegan butter and the solid vegetable shortening and mix well..
- Add the sifted confectioners sugar and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add some of the cold water about 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency
- Build the cake as per the video tutorial