Tiramisu Cupcakes are a great way to get your tiramisu fix without all the fuss!
Tiramisu is a decadent Italian dessert with coffee cream and rum soaked sponge cake
And today I have taken those same amazing flavors and packed it all into a cupcake!
My famous recipe for moist, fluffy, light as air Vanilla Sponge Cake is baked into perfect tiramisu cupcakes
And it can now be made gluten free & sugar free! *read more below!
Soaked with coffee infused simple syrup and topped with two different icings but made from only one recipe!
Tiramisu Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing , Mocha Buttercream
It turns out that Kahlua is no longer classified as 100% vegan due to the processing of the sugar.
As with most sugar here in the USA it is put through a bleaching process using animal bone char.
This is definitely not considered vegan and since Kahlua company has verified that one of their sources for the sugar is indeed using animal bone char, this can no longer be used in 100% vegan desserts
But fear not! Kamora Liquor is a vegan alternative that is not only cheaper but packs the same punch as Kahlua!
So be sure to pick up a bottle of Kamora liquor for all your coffee dessert creations! *not sponsored
This website may contain links as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, which means when you click a link and make a purchase through my website I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you
Notes for Success:
For the best cream cheese icing taste that is shelf stable no refrigeration needed I use Vegan lactic acid added to my buttercream recipe!
For the chocolate decor you must use tempered chocolate for it to set properly
I have a full video tutorial for How to Temper Chocolate but quite honestly the easy way to go would be to purchase a “non-tempering” chocolate CLICK HERE
The cupcakes can be made days in advance and wrapped well for the freezer and the simple syrup can also be prepared up to a week ahead of time too.
And they can also be made gluten free by using a 1:1 Gluten Free mix like Bob’s Red Mill *not sponsored
Additionally you can implement sugar free options as well by following my Guide to Sugar Free Baking here!
If you are not too keen on buying 2 bottles of alcohol just to make this recipe, you can always buy the tiny airplane bottles which would be perfectly enough to make this recipe!
My rum of choice for me has always been Meyers Dark Rum.
Whatever brand you go for, just make sure it is a dark rum and not white and it is of good quality since you will notice the quality in the final result if you cheap out here.
For those who do not use alcohol in their cooking and baking, I would like to suggest to skip this recipe altogether
I know, how rude of me to exclude some people!
But since classic Tiramisu is made with a good amount of alcohol I just feel really weird telling you to omit the main part of the recipe.
Alternatively you can check out Ritual Zero Proof rum alternative *not sponsored|
However I do understand the need to omit alcohol for various reasons, so for those who absolutely cannot do the alcohol I would suggest to replace it with more coffee.
- ½ Recipe Vanilla Cake
- 1 Recipe American Buttercream
- For the Simple Syrup:
- Water ½ cup (177ml)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Instant Coffee Granules 2 teaspoons
- Rum 2 Tablespoons
- Kamora 2 Tablespoons
For the Mocha Buttercream:
- 2 Tablespoons instant coffee granules (8g)
- 1 Tablespoons cocoa powder (6g)
- 2 Tbs hot water (30ml)
For the Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 2 teaspoons vegan lactic acid
- Prepare the cake batter as per the instructions on that blog post.
- Scoop batter into lined cupcake molds and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 18-20 or until springy to the touch when you gently press the centers
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan until you can safely touch it then turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
- For the coffee simple syrup bring the water and sugar to a boil and let it boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add the instant coffee and optional liquors and then let it cool in the refrigerator *this can be prepared up to 1 week in advance
- Once the cupcakes have cooled brush each one with a generous soak of coffee/liquor simple syrup
- Prepare the buttercream recipe and then divide it into 2 equal parts
- Combine the instant coffee & cocoa powder together and then add the hot water
- Whisk smooth
- Add the COOLED coffee paste to one half of the buttercream recipe and then add the vegan lactic acid to the other portion
- Ice cold cupcakes with a swirl of the mocha & cream cheese icing *see video
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder and garnish with optional chocolate decor and chocolate covered espresso bean
Tiramisu cupcakes must be kept refrigerated if you are using the cream cheese icing.