I know it is fall and I am supposed to be making everything pumpkin and apple right now; but this weather got me like: Toasted Coconut Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches!
And let me tell you something, I am not sorry!
This recipe came out of a test fail while I was tweaking my Black and White Cookie recipe to get all dressed up for Halloween.
I had a couple of fails trying to get the cookie just right.
The taste was perfect as it was turning out, it was just the rise and the texture that was unacceptable as a black and white cookie.
I had to shift my thinking from ditching them because they weren’t what I was going for, or turning this failure into a success and I have to say I definitely turned this fail into a success story and it is called Toasted Coconut Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches.
I wasn’t even planning on sharing this recipe with you all, since again it wasn’t what I originally set out to make.
I planned on just grabbing my favorite ice cream and slathering it all over the cookies while I drowned my sorrows in a pile of coconut whipped cream and caramel to wash them down.
But there was no way I couldn’t share these with you!
They are sooooo good!
Not to mention I always like to let you guys in on my trials and tribulations while getting these recipes perfect enough to share with you.
Believe me, it doesn’t always happen that way and I sometimes have many fails along the way.
So rest assure you can leave the trials and errors up to me, and you get one last grip on summer with this awesome ice cream sandwich recipe!
And don’t worry that Black and White Cookie recipe is coming up soon too! I just have to tweak it up to one last time!
The recipe below is listed for sweetened flake coconut so I have adjusted the sugar in the recipe to compensate for the added sugar in the coconut.
If you are using unsweetened flakes you may want to increase the sugar by 2 Tbs or leave it as is - I preferred a less sweet cookie so I did not add more sugar.
- For the Cookie:
- Vegan Butter 6 Tablespoons (85g)
- Granulated Vegan Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Plant Milk 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Extract 1 teaspoon
- Almond Extract *optional ¼ teaspoon
- Egg Replacer 4 teaspoons (*I am using The Plant Based Egg at 9.6g weight)
- Cornstarch 1 Tablespoon (6g)
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup (125g)
- Coconut Flour or fine ground coconut flakes ¾ cup + 2 Tbs (80g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda ¼ teaspoon
- 1 Pints of Your Favorite Ice Cream- I am using Haagen Das Coconut Caramel Non Dairy
- 1 Cup Toasted Flake Coconut for garnish
- Caramel Sauce Recipe:
- ½ cup Palm Sugar Paste Or Vegan Granulated Sugar is also fine here
- ½ cup coconut milk (120ml)
- Salt pinch
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Grind the coconut flakes to a finer consistency in a spice grinder or a food processor.
- Combine the room temperature plant milk with the extracts
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cornstarch and plant based egg together
- Cream the vegan butter with the sugar for about 3 minutes on medium to high speed until light and fluffy and then add the plant milk 1 Tablespoon at a time while mixing on medium speed.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients all at once and mix thoroughly until incorporated then add the coconut last.
- Scoop with a 2ounce scoop into parchment lined or silicone sheet pans and then flatten the cookies with your hand to the size you want them to be because they barely spread at all in the oven (hands dipped in water will help the batter not stick to you!) , then bake in a preheated 350° F oven for approximately 12-15 minutes or until starting to get golden browned
- Cool completely then sandwich with your favorite ice cream and roll them in toasted coconut
- To make the optional caramel sauce:
- Combine the sugar or palm sugar and coconut milk together in a sauce pot and whisk smooth until it starts to boil
- Once it boils reduce heat to medium and stop stirring and let it reduce to almost half the original volume (which would be about ½ cup) this should take about 5 minutes, not much longer
- Add the salt and vanilla extract and swirl the pan to combine
- Pour into a heat proof container to cool completely