The Mirror Glaze Recipe that has taken the world by storm has just hit Gretchen’s Vegan Bakery!
I just had to get on board with this one, since well….look at that beautiful shine!
Olga Noskova’s viral Instagram pictures of her fabulous mirror cakes have created such a buzz about this not so new technique.
Mirror glazing has been around for decades (yep, I learned this way back when I was a youngin at the good ol’ Culinary Institute of America!)
However this is a slightly different recipe that has been trending and I have to say~ I LOVE IT!
So thanks to whoever shared this recipe (since Olga is keeping her exact recipe under tight lock and key) it is pretty much the same recipe I have seen being passed around the “net” which includes sweetened condensed milk and gelatin.
Now for the best news of all! I HAVE A VEGAN VERSION FOR YOU!!
Yes that’s right~ Agar to the rescue.
Mirror glaze for everyone!! Wooohooo!
Ok, so in addition to the mirror glaze recipe I have also created a new mousse dessert, the Chocolate Coffee Raspberry Mousse Bombe.
I originally created that recipe BEFORE I transitioned to full vegan, so the video below is showing both vegan & non vegan recipes.
But don’t be confused ~ if you are here simply for the Mirror Glaze recipe, just grab it below and you can skip forward to 7:42 minutes for the Agar version.
The mousse shown in that video was NOT VEGAN! But I do have a VEGAN MOUSSE RECIPE HERE! (and video and recipe below as well)
Sorry to make you go back and forward, but this video from 2 years ago is really a good tutorial and I haven’t had a chance to make a new one!
But I know, I know.. I really should! (and I will!)
Just scroll down to the second recipe for the vegan mousse and in that video I am using a vegan mirror glaze as well, but with dark chocolate (which can easily be subbed in for vegan white chocolate and then colored)
It’s a bit of a project, but with some organization I will have you making these professional style Mousse Bombes in no time!
- Vegan White Chocolate 8 ounces (220g)
- Vegan Coconut Sweetened Condensed Milk ½ cup (140g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Corn Syrup ¾ cup (245g)
- Cold Water 7 tablespoons (100ml)
- HOT Water ½ cup (120ml)
- Powdered Agar 4 teaspoons (16g)
- Bloom agar in the HOT water (120ml), let stand 5 minutes
- Combine the corn syrup, the other measure of COLD water (100ml) and the sugar in a heavy bottom sauce pot and get it warmed to at least 150°F add the bloomed agar and bring to a boil.
- Allow it to boil rapidly for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and add the condensed milk and whisk smooth
- Pour the entire hot mixture over the chocolate and whisk smooth
- Pour through a strainer into a clean container and color as you like.
- Pour over cakes & pastries once it has cooled to 80 or 90°F
- For the Hazelnut Mousse
- ½ cup Hazelnut Butter (recipe follows) or store bought
- Vegan Milk Chocolate 5 ounces (140g)
- Vegan Semi Sweet Chocolate 4 ounces (113g)
- Almond Milk ½ cup (120ml)
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder (24g)
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk refrigerated overnight
- Prepare the mousse by melting both chocolates together over a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Add the cocoa powder and the almond milk and whisk smooth
- Add the hazelnut butter to the chocolate mixture then whisk smooth
- Open the cold cans of coconut milk and skim the fat from the tops (discard the coconut water that remains or reserve it for another recipe)
- Whip the coconut fat to stiff peaks then fold it into the chocolate mixture
- Portion the mousse into the silicone molds or a cake ring lined with acetate cake strips for easy removal.
- Refrigerate or freeze the mousse until you prepare the mirror glaze recipe then glaze as shown in the video