This Vegan Oreo Cheesecake was my very first attempt at making a baked vegan cheesecake way back in 2017.
I knew I was on to something when I brought it to a family gathering and everyone insisted there was no way this could be vegan!
There was another cheesecake there (not vegan) and everyone agreed that mine was better.
In a room full of non vegans you will surely get some attention with this one!
Look no further, your quest for the perfect Vegan Cheesecake ends here.
This is quite possibly the best thing I have eaten in my entire life.
Of course since it’s origin in 2017, I have created dozens cheesecake flavors and combinations and it is really hard to decide which one truly is the best.
You will amazed at what you can create from this simple base recipe for authentic New York Style Cheesecake
The thing about getting vegan cheesecakes to taste like real cheesecake is getting that characteristic tang that we know and love
Adding a bit of vegan lactic acid or apple cider vinegar will do the trick!
Oreos are packing this cheesecake from the crust to the filling and then more for the topping!
There is much debate & decision making as to whether you want to accept Oreos as being vegan
Since here in the USA the sugar that Nabisco uses to make these cookies is indeed processed through animal bone char.
If you want to be sure you are 100% vegan here, you can make your own Oreo Cookies using my recipe for Copy Cat Vegan Oreos!
Note for Success:
Cornstarch is a very difficult ingredient to measure consistently with a volume spoons measure
So while I list both measures below I cannot stress enough how the grams measure with a scale is going to give you the best results.
Many times people have complained that their cheesecake is like rubber and they don’t know why!
This is from a heavy measure of cornstarch when using volume measuring spoon vs the 100% accurate scale measure in grams.
You may notice that my base recipes for cheesecake are always the same with some slight variations to the sugar or an added spice depending on what flavor I am making.
At times I add an addition of firm tofu in place of some of the cream cheese for a lightened up version and to cut some of the fat calories.
I do not find an extremely noticeable difference in the outcome of straight vegan cream cheese versus the tofu addition, so for me I like the tofu version.
Additionally I only use Tofutti Cream Cheese for my BAKED recipes *not sponsored
I have not had success with any other brand in BAKED recipes.
For some reason the other more expensive brands I’ve tried have broken down into an oily mess when baked.
For more of my amazing cheesecake recipes click the links below!
I have eliminated using the vegan sour cream from the recipe and replaced that with more vegan cream cheese.
I just didn’t want to buy yet another ingredient for this recipe since it comes out great without it!
Just replace the vegan sour cream portion listed below with more vegan cream cheese!
- For the Cheesecake Batter
- Vegan Cream Cheese 1 package (8oz) (226g)
- Vegan Sour Cream ¼ cup (56g) **see notes above recipe in text
- Firm Tofu half package (7ounces) (196g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Cornstarch 2 Tablespoons (16g)
- All Purpose Flour 2 Tablespoons (15g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (28g) melted
- Plant Milk scant 1 cup (7 fl oz)
- Oreo Cookies 12 crushed
- For the Crust
- Oreo Cookies 16 crushed (approx 1½ cups crushed cookies)
- Vegan Butter 4 Tablespoons melted (56g)
- Prepare the crust by crushing approx 16 oreos in a food processor and then add the melted earth balance vegan butter
- Press it into the prepared 7" cake pan and freeze while you prepare the cheesecake batter
- Place all cheesecake ingredients (except the oreos) into a food processor and process until smooth
- Add the crushed Oreos and mix well
- Pour batter into prepared pan with Oreo Crust and bake in a water bath in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour, then turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake inside for another hour.
- Remove from the oven and refrigerate overnight before unmolding
- For a closer look at how to unmold a cheesecake in a regular cake pan, click here
- (Skip to 1:19 in the video for a visual tutorial)
- Garnish as you wish, I used more Oreo Cookies, vegan ganache (which is just 4ounces chocolate melted wtih 2 ounces of any milk alternative) and coconut whipped cream
- Click here for how to make Coconut Whipped Cream
Store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator
I don't love the way vegan cheesecake freezes, but if you must, you can freeze it wrapped well for up to 1 month