If a pumpkin pie and a pumpkin cheesecake got married and had a baby
It would be this Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake with gingersnap crust and we would name him Gary.
Gary Gary Gary.
If you are not sure what I mean by the “Gary” reference click here for the full story and a really good laugh!
But let’s stay focused on the best cheesecake recipe you will ever try
a gingersnap cookie crust
Gingersnap cookies for decor and also crushed up for gingersnap buttercream rosettes! *totally extra but totally awesome!
Notes for Success:
This was one of my first vegan recipes a couple years ago as I transitioned my blog and YouTube channel to all vegan recipes.
Since then I’ve honed my skills in all things vegan and can now offer you a much easier and infinitely better version of this cheesecake!
The recipe listed below is the new improved recipe and it will not match the video tutorial on YouTube for this recipe
Additionally I often add an addition of firm tofu in place of some of the vegan cream cheese for a lightened up version to cut some of the fat calories.
I do not find an extremely noticeable difference in the outcome of straight vegan cream cheese versus the tofu addition, so for me I like the tofu version.
If you prefer to eliminate tofu just add in more vegan cream cheese or even vegan sour cream!
Tofutti Cream Cheese is the only brand I will use for my BAKED recipes *not sponsored
I had not had success with any other brand in BAKED recipes; for some reason some other brands I’ve tried have broken down into an oily mess when baked.
Until more recently I tried Violife again and it works! Although I still prefer the Tofutti brand
Cornstarch is a very difficult ingredient to measure consistently with a volume spoons measure
Many times people have complained that their cheesecake is like rubber and they don’t know why!
- Vegan Cream Cheese 12 ounces (336g) * see notes above
- Firm Tofu drained of excess water 4 ounces (113g)
- Pumpkin Puree 1 cup (250g)
- Light Brown Sugar 1½ cup (315g)
- Pumpkin Pie Spice 3 teaspoons (8g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Cornstarch 6 Tablespoons (48g)
- All Purpose Flour 2 Tablespoons (16g)
- Vegan Lactic Acid 2 teaspoons
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 15- 1 ounce Gingersnap Cookies approx 1½ cups ground
- Vegan Butter melted 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- FOR THE GINGERSNAP PUMPKIN BUTTERCREAM:
- ½ Recipe Buttercream
- 1 cup crushed gingersnaps finely ground
- ½ cup canned pumpkin or homemade puree
- Prepare a 7" cake pan with pan grease and parchment lining
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- *I did not use a water bath in the old video, but I do now bake my cheesecakes in water baths and it is a better idea
- Prepare the crust with the cookies and melted vegan butter, press into the bottom of the greased and parchment lined cake pan, refrigerate until needed
- Combine all of the cheesecake ingredients together in the food processor and whiz it up smooth
- Pour into prepared crust and bake in a water bath for 1 hour then turn the oven off and allow the cheesecake to cool slowly as the oven cools for another hour
- Then remove from water bath and cool overnight in the refrigerator to set to firm.
- Unmold then garnish with gingersnap pumpkin buttercream and more gingersnap cookies
Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake must be kept refrigerated at all times, will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
I do not like to freeze vegan cheesecake, I find the texture changes in a bad way & they get soggy on the thaw