Pumpkin Everything Season deserves the best recipe for pumpkin cake ever!
Now I have two different recipes for pumpkin cake here on my website
One is a super easy one bowl mix~ fluffy like clouds and perfect in every way.
And then there is this one, the pumpkin velvet cake
Which is a more detailed creaming method recipe with a resulting texture that is like velvet pound cake!
By the looks of it, you can see it is pure velvet!
As usual the development of my recipes are tried and true and then I tried again!
So you can be sure my recipes work for you every time!
Now just decide whether you want velvet pound cake texture or fluffy cloud cake
Pick your poison and come back here to make the rest of this building on recipes project!
As with any cake like this one you will have to prepare a couple recipes to get to the final
The fondant pumpkin and fall leaf decorations are optional but so cute!
Alternatively this recipe will bake great into cupcakes, sheet cakes or even loaves!
Notes for Success:
I am using my American Buttercream recipe because I am super lazy but also it holds up to additions the best
But I do have 5 different buttercream recipes to choose from
If you want to try your hand at the Aquafaba Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Or even a luscious Italian meringue style buttercream!
All of the buttercream recipes I have here will hold up to an addition of the pumpkin and spice as I have listed below
Except for the Ermine Recipe
Unfortunately that one is super fragile and wouldn’t hold up to a heavy addition like pumpkin.
Spices yes. Pumpkin No.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE ABOUT FLAVORING YOUR BUTTERCREAM RECIPES
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL YOUTUBE VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR HOW TO MAKE THIS CAKE!
For more awesome pumpkin recipe click the links below!
White Pumpkin Mousse Layer Cake
- For the Pumpkin Cake:
- Vegan Butter 12 tablespoons (168g)
- Granulated Sugar 1¼ cup (250g)
- Plant Milk * I am using soy milk 1 cup (237ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons
- Egg Replacer * I am using the Plant Based Egg by Freely Vegan 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg ½ teaspoon
- Ginger ½ teaspoon
- Cloves ¼ teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Pumpkin Puree 1 cup * I use canned but you can make your own homemade click here
- For the Buttercream:
- 1 Recipe American Style Buttercream
- Cinnamon 2 teaspoons
- Nutmeg 1 teaspoon
- Ginger 1½ teaspoons
- Cloves ¾ teaspoon
- OR 3½ TeaspoonsPumpkin Pie Spice
- For the cake batter, cream the vegan butter with the granulated sugar on medium high speed for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy
- Combine the vanilla with the plant milk together, then add about ¼ cup to the creamed butter mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients together (including the egg replacer) then add ⅓ to the creaming mixture while mixing on low speed, scrape the bottom & sides of the bowl then whip on high for 20 seconds.
- Add half of the remaining plant milk, then another ⅓ of the dry.
- Repeat with the last of the plant milk and the last of the dry ingredients.
- Add the pumpkin last, whip to combine well.
- Divide the better into your greased & parchment lined cake pans and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 25 minutes or when springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- Cool completely while you prepare the buttercream recipe as per the instructions on that blog post.
- Add the spices at the last stage of mixing. *adjust to your liking*
- Fill and ice the cooled pumpkin cake layers with the buttercream, decorate as you wish
For longer storage, refrigerate for up to 1 week, covered to prevent drying.
I would like to do this recipe but no vegan. How would i do it
Hi Trista thanks! I am sure there are some non vegan pumpkin cake recipes out there on the internet you can google, but I would LOVE it if you tried this recipe the way it’s written . It’s amazing!
If I can’t get that exact egg replacer what should I use? Flax egg or another egg replacer powder? And if another powder, mix with water or use dry?
Hi Aimee! You can use another dry blend proprietary mix (like a Bob’s red mill) same amount and if it calls for re-constituting, you can take a small amount of the liquid from this recipe to do that! 🙂
Gonna make this cake for a family party, is this enough to fill 3 9in rounds? Or should I double the recipe? Thanks!
What size cake does this recipe yield?
I baked it into 3-7″ cake pans, but if you only have 8″ you can make 2-8″ layers with this same amount of batter
Good morning Gretchen,
I hope you are doing well. I was trying to locate one of your older recipes. However it looks like you got ride of most all of your old recipes. I was wondering if you would be able to send the recipe to me. It was one of my favorite cakes. It was the pumpkin layer cake with the chocolate ganache. But if you can’t I totally understand. I know you are a busy lady. Have a great rest of your week. You are an awesome baker. Keep it up.
Hi Tarrie! Since December my non vegan blog has shut down.I couldn’t keep up the cost to host it on the internet and maintain it monthly anymore
The cost to host such a huge database online was close to $400 a month with tech support monthly to keep it clean & safe and smooth.
I certainly do not (did not) make that much in adsense revenue through Youtube & Google.
That became a pretty steep price to pay for a website that had been conflicting me financially & emotionally for so many years,
so after 5 years of keeping it free & open to the public I finally decided to shut it down.
I did not keep any of the recipes for myself when I shut down the database
(which was the only place the recipes were stored)
I just did (do) not feel comfortable anymore sharing recipes laden with animal ingredients promoting the very industry I loathe
so it really didn’t make sense for me to keep them nor keep open and available such an expensive website.
I do thank you so much for your support and encouragement through the ages,
I have stunned NON Vegans with my vegan recipes, perhaps you could try to do the same?
If not, I am sure there are tons of great (if not better than mine) recipes out there for you to use!
Thanks again~ Best, Gretchen
Hi Gretchen! This looks amazing! I have a question for you–what is the frosting scraper tool that you use to make the cool design on all your cakes and where is the best place to buy it? I see all sorts of items that look similar but some are plastic, some are metal, etc. Thanks for yet another fab recipe!
This is beautiful! Any idea how it would do with gluten free flour?
Hi Thank you! I am not a GF baker, I’m sorry I’m not much help there. Some have said my recipes work great with a GF 1:1 AP-mix but I can’t say how this recipe would fare.
Can I use cake flour instead of AP flour?
For cupcakes, would you recommend this recipe or the other pumpkin cake? Thank you!!!
I would recommend this new recipe!
One Bowl Mix~ easy! GREAT RISE ON CUPCAKES!