Pumpkin Everything Season deserves the best recipe for pumpkin cake ever!
Now I have two different recipes for pumpkin cake here on my website
One is a super easy one bowl mix~ fluffy like clouds and perfect in every way.
And then there is this one, the pumpkin velvet cake
Which is a more detailed creaming method recipe with a resulting texture that is like velvet pound cake!
By the looks of it, you can see it is pure velvet!
As usual the development of my recipes are tried and true and then I tried again!
So you can be sure my recipes work for you every time!
Now just decide whether you want velvet pound cake texture or fluffy cloud cake
Pick your poison and come back here to make the rest of this building on recipes project!
As with any cake like this one you will have to prepare a couple recipes to get to the final
The fondant pumpkin and fall leaf decorations are optional but so cute!
Alternatively this recipe will bake great into cupcakes, sheet cakes or even loaves!
Notes for Success:
I am using my American Buttercream recipe because I am super lazy but also it holds up to additions the best
But I do have 5 different buttercream recipes to choose from
If you want to try your hand at the Aquafaba Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Or even a luscious Italian meringue style buttercream!
All of the buttercream recipes I have here will hold up to an addition of the pumpkin and spice as I have listed below
Except for the Ermine Recipe
Unfortunately that one is super fragile and wouldn’t hold up to a heavy addition like pumpkin.
Spices yes. Pumpkin No.
For more awesome pumpkin recipe click the links below!
- For the Pumpkin Cake:
- Vegan Butter 12 tablespoons (168g)
- Granulated Sugar 1¼ cup (250g)
- Plant Milk * I am using soy milk 1 cup (237ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons
- Egg Replacer * I am using the Plant Based Egg by Freely Vegan 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg ½ teaspoon
- Ginger ½ teaspoon
- Cloves ¼ teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Pumpkin Puree 1 cup * I use canned but you can make your own homemade click here
- For the Buttercream:
- 1 Recipe American Style Buttercream
- Cinnamon 2 teaspoons
- Nutmeg 1 teaspoon
- Ginger 1½ teaspoons
- Cloves ¾ teaspoon
- OR 3½ TeaspoonsPumpkin Pie Spice
- For the cake batter, cream the vegan butter with the granulated sugar on medium high speed for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy
- Combine the vanilla with the plant milk together, then add about ¼ cup to the creamed butter mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients together (including the egg replacer) then add ⅓ to the creaming mixture while mixing on low speed, scrape the bottom & sides of the bowl then whip on high for 20 seconds.
- Add half of the remaining plant milk, then another ⅓ of the dry.
- Repeat with the last of the plant milk and the last of the dry ingredients.
- Add the pumpkin last, whip to combine well.
- Divide the better into your greased & parchment lined cake pans and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 25 minutes or when springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- Cool completely while you prepare the buttercream recipe as per the instructions on that blog post.
- Add the spices at the last stage of mixing. *adjust to your liking*
- Fill and ice the cooled pumpkin cake layers with the buttercream, decorate as you wish
For longer storage, refrigerate for up to 1 week, covered to prevent drying.