To answer the age old question: “Are you a Pie Lover or a Cake lover?”
Well now you have the best of both worlds with this Pie Caken!
Pie Caken has been around for a long time.
My first time making this, it was known as Cher-Pumple because is was literally 3 pies (cherry, pumpkin & apple) baked into a cake.
So while my new version here I am not baking my pies into the cake; I do feel like this way of doing it is far superior than the original method.
#1 This way is easier.
#2 This way is neater.
#3 You can get more creative with the recipes you want to use since they are all baked separately and then constructed and built into a layer cake.
These three recipes work perfectly together not to mention they are my top 3 recipes I make every year for the Thanksgiving dessert table, now it’s just all in one!
- Apple cake Recipe:
- Vegetable Oil ½ cup (118ml)
- Granulated Sugar ⅓ cup (66g)
- Light Brown Sugar ⅓ cup (68g)
- Plant Milk *I use soy milk 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg ½ teaspoon
- Cloves pinch
- Ground Ginger ¼ teaspoon
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Egg Replacer *I used the Plant Based Egg by Freely Vegan 2 teaspoon
- Baking Soda ¾ teaspoon
- Baking Powder ¾ teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour ¾ cup (95g)
- Cake Flour *you can use plain flour here if you cannot get cake flour ⅓ cup (40g)
- Shredded Apples from 2 small apples, approximately 1 cup packed
- ½ Recipe Pumpkin Pie filling only
- ½ Recipe Vegan Ganache
- Graham Cracker Crust:
- Graham Crackers 9 sheets (approx 1½ cups ground crumbs)
- Sugar 1 Tbs (14g)
- Melted Vegan Butter 5 Tablespoons (70g)
- Chocolate Cookie Crust:
- Your favorite sandwich cookie (with the fillings) 7 ounces (approx 1½ cup ground crumbs)
- Melted Vegan Butter 4 Tbs (56g)
- ½ Recipe Apple Compote
- 1recipe Buttercream *I used the American Buttercream Recipe
- For the Mini Pies:
- Grind the cookies (separately for the chocolate & graham) in a food processor with the melted vegan butter (and sugar for the graham ones) and then press into the bottom and sides of an UN-greased tart mold with a removable bottom.
- Prepare the pumpkin pie & vegan ganache as per the instructions on those blog posts/recipes and pour into the respective prepared tart molds.
- Bake the Pumpkin Pies for approx 25 minutes and then refrigerate for at least 5 hours to cool & set.
- The vegan ganache gets poured into the chocolate crusts and refrigerated for at least 4 hours to set.
- Meanwhile prepare the apple cake: Peel, core and then shred the apples
- Combine the ground flax with the hot water and whisk smooth, set aside for 5 minutes to thicken
- In a large mixing bowl combine both sugars with the salt, oil and vanilla & whisk smooth.
- Add the thickened flax paste and whisk smooth
- Sift together the flours, salt, cinnamon and the baking soda and baking powder and add to the sugar mixture
- Add the shredded apples and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake immediately in preheated 350° F oven.
- Cake layers will take approximately 25 -35 minutes or when a toothpick inserted yields moist crumbs, or the best way to check is if it is springy to the touch when you gently press the center
- Cool in the pans and then flip into a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Prepare the Buttercream Recipe and add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon at the last stage of mixing.
- Prepare the Apple Filling recipe & cool completely before using as the topping on the cake.