Are you a Pie lover or a Cake lover?
Well now you have the best of both worlds in one epic dessert with this vegan version of the Pie Caken!
Pie Caken has been around for a long time.
My first time making this it was known more commonly as Cher-Pumple
Because is was literally 3 whole pies baked into a cake.
In my new version here I am not baking my pies into the cake because I just feel like this way of doing it is better
But you can be the judge of that!
However I will try to convince you ahead of time that my method is way better!
#1 This way is easier.
#2 This way is neater.
#3 You can get more creative with the recipes you want to use since they are all baked separately and then constructed and built into a final layer cake.
All in one towering cake loaded with Thanksgiving cheer!
There’s something for everyone in each bite!
These three recipes work perfectly together not to mention they are my top 3 dessert recipes I would make every year for the Thanksgiving dessert table anyway
Only now it’s just all in one!
You can change any of the recipes to something else if you don’t like one or the other
I know some people aren’t as crazed over chocolate as me!
But I really loved how everything came together!
Homemade recipes for everything you need are linked below in the recipes section
Including my famous recipe for hot apple pie to pile on top!
This is a building on recipes project where you will have to prepare all the separate recipes ahead of time
Then build the cake when you have everything ready.
Just give yourself ample time to get it all together.
I would recommend a two day time period to prep and execute everything
Don’t worry I have the full video tutorial with the step by step instructions on how to make this cake!
Notes for Success:
The recipe below lists all the recipes you will need with direct links to go to the other pages to grab written printable forms.
I recommend to make the buttercream recipe ahead of time and leave at room temperature or refrigerate until needed.
I am partial to using my American Style Buttercream for almost all my hefty projects as this one
American Buttercream holds up the best to added flavors as well as a heavy build such as the Pie Caken
The cake can be made the day ahead as well and wrapped loosely and refrigerated until you are ready to build.
The pies can also be made up to 3 days in advance as well as the apple filling.
It is recommended to have everything cold as possible and firmly set before starting to build anyway
For more amazing holiday style recipes click the links below!
- Apple cake Recipe:
- Vegetable Oil ½ cup (118ml)
- Granulated Sugar ⅓ cup (66g)
- Light Brown Sugar ⅓ cup (68g)
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg ½ teaspoon
- Cloves pinch
- Ground Ginger ¼ teaspoon
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Flax Meal 2 Tablespoons (16g)
- Hot Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Baking Soda ¾ teaspoon
- Baking Powder ¾ teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup + 2 Tbs (140g)
- Shredded Apples from 1 medium apple, approximately 1 cup packed (125g)
- ½ Recipe Pumpkin Pie filling only
- ½ Recipe Vegan Ganache
- Graham Cracker Crust:
- Graham Crackers 9 sheets (approx 1½ cups ground crumbs)
- Sugar 1 Tbs (14g)
- Melted Vegan Butter 5 Tablespoons (70g)
- Chocolate Cookie Crust:
- Your favorite sandwich cookie (with the fillings) 7 ounces (approx 1½ cup ground crumbs)
- Melted Vegan Butter 4 Tbs (56g)
- ½ Recipe Apple Compote
- 1recipe Buttercream *I used the American Buttercream Recipe
- For the Mini Pies:
- Grind the cookies (separately for the chocolate & graham) in a food processor with the melted vegan butter (and sugar for the graham ones) and then press into the bottom and sides of an UN-greased tart mold with a removable bottom.
- Prepare the pumpkin pie & vegan ganache as per the instructions on those blog posts/recipes and pour into the respective prepared tart molds.
- Bake the Pumpkin Pies for approx 25 minutes and then refrigerate for at least 5 hours to cool & set.
- The vegan ganache gets poured into the chocolate crusts and refrigerated for at least 4 hours to set.
- Meanwhile prepare the apple cake: Peel, core and then shred the apples
- Combine the ground flax with the hot water and whisk smooth, set aside for 5 minutes to thicken
- In a large mixing bowl combine both sugars with the salt, oil and vanilla & whisk smooth.
- Add the thickened flax paste and whisk smooth
- Sift together the flour, salt, all the spices with the baking soda & baking powder and add to the sugar mixture
- Whisk to a smooth batter
- Add the shredded apples and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake immediately in preheated 350° F oven.
- Cake layers will take approximately 25 -35 minutes or when a toothpick inserted yields moist crumbs, or the best way to check is if it is springy to the touch when you gently press the center
- Cool in the pans and then flip into a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Prepare the Buttercream Recipe and add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon at the last stage of mixing.
- Prepare the Apple Filling recipe & cool completely before using as the topping on the cake.