One of the bakery’s all time favorites just got veganized!
That’s right the Caramel Apple Cake was one of my most popular layer cakes
This is one heavy cake though, I will warn you!
And I’m talking weight-wise since it is packed with apples and caramel, caramel buttercream and more caramel sauce!
It’s actually a very light cake by itself, super moist and light crumb
This is a pretty big building on recipes project though, so just be sure to organize yourself before you begin and it will not be a difficult task.
And the caramel sauce as I show in the video below.
I am using 3-7" cake pans but you can make 2-8" layers instead
- ½ recipe Apple Filling
- ½ Recipe Buttercream
- For the Cake:
- Vegetable Oil 1 cup (240ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1½ Cups (195g)
- Cake Flour ¾ cup (90g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Baking Soda 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Salt ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon 2 teaspoons (10g)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Light Brown Sugar ¾ cup (158g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 4 Tablespoons (32g)
- Hot Water 10 Tablespoons (150ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Apples Shredded from 2 medium apples approx 2 cups (250g)
- For the Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar (210g)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar (200g)
- 1 cup Almond Milk or any milk alternative (240ml)
- Salt pinch
- Vegan Butter 4 Tablespoons (56g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- For the Cake:
- Peel, core and then shred the apples
- Combine the ground flax with the hot water and whisk smooth, set aside for 5 minutes to thicken
- In a large mixing bowl combine both sugars with the salt, oil and vanilla & whisk smooth.
- Add the thickened flax paste and whisk smooth
- Sift together the flours, salt, cinnamon and the baking soda and baking powder and add to the sugar mixture
- Add the shredded apples and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake immediately in preheated 350° F oven.
- Cake layers will take approximately 25 -35 minutes or when a toothpick inserted yields moist crumbs, or the best way to check is if it is springy to the touch when you gently press the center
- For the Caramel:
- Combine all ingredients except the vanilla and the vegan butter in a large heavy bottom sauce pot
- Bring to a boil stirring over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved
- Let it boil rapidly without stirring for approximately 10-15 minutes or until it is caramel in color
- Remove from heat and stir in vegan butter and the vanilla extract
- Pour into a heat proof container then refrigerate until thick and cold
- Assemble the cake as shown in the video tutorial
The entire assembled cake can stay at room temperature for up to 1 day, but will most likely need refrigeration for longer storage (up to 10 days) so it doesn't get too soft.
Nothing will go bad, so refrigeration is not completely necessary.