One of Gretchen’s Bakery all time favorites just got veganized!
I am just in love with flax meal as an egg replacement though, I think it just makes cakes super moist!
This is one heavy cake though, I will warn you!
And I’m talking weight-wise since it is packed with apples and caramel, caramel buttercream and more caramel sauce!
It’s actually a very light cake by itself, super moist and light crumb
This is a pretty big building on recipes project though, so just be sure to organize yourself before you begin and it will not be a difficult task.
And the caramel sauce as I show in the video below.
Now I know many of you have had trouble with Caramel Sauce in the past, so I want to give you some options to make it easier.
Sometimes you just have to find the right recipe that works for you.
So please watch the video for my original Caramel Sauce tutorial (yes it was using butter and cream since I hadn’t yet made the switch to vegan, but the method and recipe is the same only substitute earth balance butter and almond milk for the dairy in that recipe)
Or just follow this new recipe for caramel sauce as listed below and I show you how to make it in the video below as well.
I am using 3-7" cake pans but you can make 2-8" layers instead
- ½ recipe Apple Filling
- ½ Recipe Buttercream vegan version
- For the Cake:
- Vegetable Oil 1 cup (240ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1½ Cups (195g)
- Cake Flour ¾ cup (90g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Baking Soda 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Salt ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon 2 teaspoons (10g)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Light Brown Sugar ¾ cup (158g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 4 Tablespoons (32g)
- Hot Water 10 Tablespoons (150ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Apples Shredded from 2 medium apples approx 2 cups (250g)
- For the Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar (210g)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar (200g)
- 1 cup Almond Milk or any milk alternative (240ml)
- Salt pinch
- Vegan Butter 4 Tablespoons (56g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- For the Cake:
- Peel, core and then shred the apples
- Combine the ground flax with the hot water and whisk smooth, set aside for 5 minutes to thicken
- In a large mixing bowl combine both sugars with the salt, oil and vanilla & whisk smooth.
- Add the thickened flax paste and whisk smooth
- Sift together the flours, salt, cinnamon and the baking soda and baking powder and add to the sugar mixture
- Add the shredded apples and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake immediately in preheated 350° F oven.
- Cake layers will take approximately 25 -35 minutes.
- Check out UNTIL ITS DONE for more clarity on baking times.
- For the Caramel:
- Combine all ingredients except the vanilla and the vegan butter in a large heavy bottom sauce pot
- Bring to a boil stirring over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved
- Let it boil rapidly without stirring for approximately 10-15 minutes or until it is caramel in color
- Remove from heat and stir in vegan butter and the vanilla extract
- Pour into a heat proof container then refrigerate until thick and cold
- Assemble the cake as shown in the video tutorial
The entire assembled cake can stay at room temperature for up to 1 day, but will most likely need refrigeration for longer storage (up to 10 days) so it doesn't get too soft.
Nothing will go bad, so refrigeration is not completely necessary.